Sunday, July 6, 2014

What IS You Sippin' On!?: 5 Spirits that Keep You Coming Back For More

Shots are for people on a mission to oblivion...not my thing...at all...ever.  Now, if you want something more refined that demands to be enjoyed on the slow tip, have I got some suggestions for you!

Corrido Extra AnejoTequila:


Corrido

This is my go to tequila.  It, more than any other, is the one that has converted my friends who SWEAR they don't like tequila to tequila lovers.  Smooth with just the right amount of agave bite.  Much like my favorite whiskeys, I enjoy this big boy neat. 


Hirsch Burbon:

Hirsch
I've tried really, really hard to like Pappy Van Winkle but I just don't.  In most any year it is inelegant, starts with a nasty bite and then finishes so so. For this you get to pay $500-$1500 a bottle...no thanks.  Hirsch, however, is pretty much great no matter the year, no matter the price.  Buttery with a touch of honey, pretty much all of the Hirsch products are worthwhile.


High West Campfire:

Campfire




Imagine Hirsch and Laphroaig had a baby!  THIS is Campfire.  I am not sure what took someone so long to add  peat to bourbon but the results are fantastic.  Creamy bourbon notes that finish with just the right amount of peat bite. YES!


Remy Martin XO:

Remy XO

Tesseron Lot No. 29 is my favorite Cognac to date but, at $500 a bottle it is NOT a daily drinker...at least not for me.  Remy XO strikes the perfect "price to taste" balance.  Silky smooth to the last drop, an all time great.


Yamazaki 18:


Yamazaki
Probably my favorite Japanese Whiskey.  The 18 drinks like a Cognac.  Elegant and leggy, it goes down smooth...maybe too smooth. I cannot keep this in the house long. Neat, two finger pour...minimum! 


All of these are an acquired taste.  With the exception of the Cognac, it is appropriate to have them with a cube of ice or a splash of water.  I prefer them all neat.  In time, the acquisition of a taste for any/all of the above can be exceptionally rewarding.

Thanks for reading!


Doc Jay





No comments:

Post a Comment